Saturday, December 1, 2012

Hibernation Station


So I mentioned in my last post that I was going to tell you about my hibernation station.  

It was an adventure.


But TOTALLY worth it!

I had seen this idea of introducing the concept of hibernation to pre-k students, so I decided to run with it.  First I gathered my materials--Crisco, cling wrap, a quart sized plastic bag, and lots of ice in a bucket.  Yes, this is an interesting list of items.



I wanted to see what they already knew about hibernation, so I made a K-W-L chart.  They have no idea what that means yet, but I do.  So we listed what we knew--mostly that bears hibernate and they sleep all winter.  Perfect amount of information for pre-k.  Then we asked why and where they hibernate, and which other animals hibernate.  Then we did our “experiment”...




I had them all stick their hands in the icy water and tell me about it.  It was cold (I know...seems pretty basic, just wait, it gets better).  I asked what they do when they get ready for recess (keep in mind we live in Minnesota and it is cold!)--they said, put on jackets (and mittens, hats, boots, snowpants...I’ll get to that later).  We decided to call these “layers.”  Then I told them that bears and other animals need to eat a lot in the fall so that they can build up a “layer” of fat over their bodies to keep them warm.  Then I had one of my students put her hand in the bag, and I covered it with Crisco.  They thought it looked like ice cream.  Then I wrapped the Crisco layer with plastic wrap (be generous on this part--seriously, it helps!).  After the Crisco layer was in place, I had her put her hand back in the icy bucket and asked, “Does it still feel cold?”  And she replied, “NO!”  

The genius part of this is that the plastic bag is dry and they can slide their hands in and out of it--every kid was able to try it and feel that it wasn’t cold!  

We read the book “Hibernation Station” and learned about other animals that hibernate in the winter.  We also established that it is a fiction book because the animals are wearing pajamas.  

It was one of my favorite lessons so far this year, and I made my students tell me at least one animal that hibernates to leave the classroom today--everyone was able to do it!

In other news...it is officially winter weather, which means coats, boots, snowpants, hats, mittens, etc.  Going out for recess takes at least 15 minutes of prep work.  We decided to make a zipper club.  Yes, I said zipper club.  Anyone who can zip their own zipper will be able to write their name on this beautiful little jacket that my aide made, and they get a piece of {stale} candy (I have way too much left from the parade at the beginning of this year...whoops!).  I’m hoping this will inspire my little ones to learn to zip their own coats!

Our dramatic play is changing once again.  We are now the proud owners of our very own castle!  Check it out:
  

It is not all I hoped and dreamed it would be, but I couldn’t get it to stay up on top of my shelf without falling over.  The kids were loving it though.

Last but not least--I couldn’t help but share this Grinch I made for our door.  Every time someone is caught doing something nice for someone else, they get to sign their name on a heart to give to the Grinch.  I am hopeful this will encourage my little ones to play NICE!  As in, I wish they wouldn’t shove one another to the point of falling on the ground to be first in line.  What is it that makes us all want to be first in line anyway?!?!


No comments:

Post a Comment