Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Letter E is Egg-cellent :)


There are days that I wish I were a five year old.  Not just because we do the sweetest art projects and sing all day, but because their lives are so simple.  Their biggest problems consist of someone taking their spot in line, who has more crackers at snack, and whether or not we are watching Veggie Tales at rest time.  Don’t we all wish our lives could be that simple sometimes?

Yesterday I was working on community helpers with my three-year-olds.  I showed them pictures of a firefighter, doctor, baker, police officer, etc.  When I held up a picture of a teacher, I said, “What does a teacher help us with?” and I pointed to my head (hoping they would connect that to learning) and Tinkerbell shouts, “EARS!  THEY HELP US WITH OUR EARS!”  Obviously my pointing was not effective!

Today I did an “E is for Egg” experiment with my pre-k class.  And by experiment, I mean we fried an egg, though it was exciting enough to elicit some screams (not egg-aggerating either, there actually were screams when the egg hit the griddle).  I have never loved teaching science more than at the pre-k level.  They are SO enthusiastic!
  

After we observed the egg and recorded our results, I read them a book about eggs.  If I had thought of it, I would have previewed the book a little more thoroughly than checking how many words were on each page and looking at the pictures.  As my luck would have it, I turned one of the pages and there was a picture of the inside of a chicken with an egg inside.  To which one child asked, “Miss Rabedeaux, how do the eggs get out?!”  Needless to say, the next two times I did the lesson, I casually flipped past that page. 

We are going on our first field trip on Friday, and I am so excited!  We’re going to the Como Zoo, and my students were bouncing off the walls saying, “I can’t wait till tomorrow!”  Sorry sweethearts, but your concept of time is a little off.  Friday will be here soon enough—can’t wait to see all of their crazy animal faces walking around the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment